A.J. over at ilikebookstoomuch nominated me for the Liebster Award. Thank you so much! Everyone should go and visit her page. She’s got some great book reviews up! This is my first blogging award and it’s great to know that others are reading and appreciating what I post here, especially given how new I am at it.
1. Include a link back to the person responsible for your nomination
2. Provide eleven facts about yourself
3. Respond to the eleven questions set by the blogger who nominated you
4. Select eleven more outstanding blogs
5. Choose eleven questions to ask your nominees.
Eleven facts about me
1. I’m a huge Joss Whedon fan. The man’s a genius.
2. I have a Ph.D. I used for a grand total of three years. It took me seven years to get the degree!
3. I once spent a summer studying howler monkeys in Panama. Most of the time I was waist deep in swamp water and ended up with jungle rot on my legs. After that summer, I decided that studying humans would be easier.
4. I had two cats come through my window on my first day living in New Zealand. They never left.
5. I’ve been skydiving and hang gliding but I would never in a million years go bungy jumping. Even the thought freaks me out.
6. I broke my leg as a child by falling off an exercise bike.
7. I use to show jump horses and have a great picture of a hoof print shaped bruise on my leg from when I went face first into the dirt and had my horse roll on top of me, then step on me as he was getting up. I don’t remember a thing except that it was my mother’s birthday that day and she was in the audience.
8. As a kid I probably watched each movie in the Star Wars trilogy a hundred times (episodes 4-6/I don’t acknowledge the existence of 1-3). I was obsessed.
9. I met my husband via online dating. We bonded over our love of the show Firefly.
10. I collect a piece of art from every country I visit.
11. I received a Fulbright for my dissertation research in New Zealand. Someone actually turned it down and I was the first alternate.
11 questions from A.J.
1. Being that all of you post about books, what is your favorite book and why?
Oh God, there is no way to pick only one. I love the Outlander series, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Under the Never Sky, and The Art of Happiness.
2. How did you get into reading?
I’ve always been a reader. My parents read me lots of bed time stories and tried to instill a love of reading and I guess it just took.
3. You’re stranded on an island, all your basic needs will be met (Food, water, shelter, etc) What three items do you bring with you?
A fully loaded kindle, a solar charger, and my husband (for the heavy lifting).
4. What is your favorite place in the entire world and why?
New Zealand! It’s gorgeous at every turn. Truly majestic.
5. I’m stealing this question from Wayward Night, How do you define love?
Understanding, loyalty, forgiveness, the giving of support without expectations.
6. You won the lottery!!! What are you going to do with your winnings?
Travel the world, build my dream house, donate to charity, start a retirement home for old horses and other animals in their golden years.
7. How do you describe yourself?
Loyal, creative, a wanderer.
8. If you had one superpower, what would it be and why?
I think I’d go with mind reading but with the caveat that I could turn it on and off at will. I’d love to know what people are really thinking and to know without a doubt whether certain people were guilty of crimes.
9. Pepsi or Coke?
Coke all the way. Preferably frozen.
10. When you read, what type of environment do you like to be in?
I like to either be curled up in bed or outside on some sort of porch swing.
11. What is your all time favorite memory or thing you’ve ever done?
My dad and I went night swimming with manta rays in Hawaii and it was incredible. They come to within inches of you as they swoop through the water eating their evening meal.
The questions for my nominees
1. What was your favorite book as a child and why?
2. What’s one of your favorite books today?
3. What place in the world would you most like to visit but haven’t yet been? Why?
4. What has been your favorite travel destination so far?
5. What scares you the most in this world?
6. If you could invite any five people over for dinner who would they be?
7. If you could be any fictional character from a book, movie or t.v. show who would you be? Why?
8. If you were to pursue an entirely new profession (and be successful at it), what would it be?
9. What are your hobbies?
10. I’m borrowing this from A.J.-What is your all time favorite memory or thing you’ve ever done?
11. If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you do today?
There are some really exciting debut authors on this list. I can’t wait for their release days!